VCS 1.13.2 released

A new update of VCS with a couple bugfixes is available to download. Once again, if you had problems with the previous versions there's nothing new.

It fixes a bug when using MPlayer as capturer that could produce one more capture than expected. Thanks to Miya for reporting it.

See the full changelog for more details.

vcs 1.13.2
http://p.outlyer.net/vcs/files/vcs-1.13.2.gz (script only)
or
http://p.outlyer.net/vcs/files/vcs-1.13.2.tar.gz (script, sample configuration, manpage and profiles)
deb, rpm, PKGBUILD & bz2
as usual at http://p.outlyer.net/vcs/

10 thoughts on “VCS 1.13.2 released

1. Pär says:

Nice script. :)

One thing, the dark/blank frame guessing thingy needs to be an option. I have to resort to black magic here, using two versions of the script, one with the setting and one without, plus a symlink to each one so I can just type vcs or vcsnb when I want to use one or the other.

I use the –manual option together with the -S option to grab precisely those frames I want (no, I don't type it all, I use my own Python script). In other words, vcs shouldn't interfere when in –manual mode. It should assume that the user wants the frames listed on the command line, even though they might be too dark/blank for its taste. ;)

Of course, I _could_ use VLC to grab exactly the frames I want and assemble an index of those frames, but what's the fun in that? ;)

Keep up the good work! :)

2. Toni Corvera says:

Good points. I'll add both (an option to disable blank frame evasion and disable it automatically on manual captures) in the next update. Thanks for your comment :)

3. Dougn Redhammer says:

Hey Toni any chance of their being an option to use both libav and ffmpeg?

4. Chris Hills says:

Thank you for your continued work on this project.

Is there a way to make the output image maintain the path of the video? For example, if I run `vcs-1.13.2.bash ./folder/video.avi` then the image will be written to ./video.avi.jpg instead of ./folder/video.avi.jpg. I would prefer to avoid using an additional script to launch vcs.

5. Toni Corvera says:

Not directly. It will by default output to the current directory.

However, you can use the '--output' option:

$ vcs-1.13.2.bash ./folder/video.avi -o ./folder/video.avi.jpg

A bit too verbose I know :P
    You may wrap that in a script for a more terse command-line, of course.

6. Chris Hills says:

Thanks Toni. I was hoping I could simply run `$ vcs-1.13.2.bash -? **/*.mp4` to create contact sheets for all videos in all subfolders, but it sounds like I'll have to use a wrapper script. Would you consider adding this in a future release for a donation?

7. Toni Corvera says:

I guess you're using zsh-ish globbing there.
    That's not something I use so I didn't even think of the case where recursing could be so simple.

It was a bit of an overlook on my part not to have the option to output to the same directory as the video, probably because recursion always required a wrapper in my head.

Yes, I'm definitely adding such an option to my TO-DO list (donations are welcome, but not necessary ;)).

8. Pascal says:

Hi Toni
    i didn't find out how to get the script running with videos shorter than 5 min. What do i have to do in syntax for that? I have tons of short security recordings for what i need a quick view with your script.
    Regards Pascal

9. Toni Corvera says:

Hi Pascal,
    the default mode takes captures every 5 minutes, so you have to change the interval or switch to a fixed number of captures:

Take shots every 30 seconds:
    $ vcs -i 30s videofile

Take 20 shots:
    $ vcs -n 20 videofile

If you want to make one of those the default, you can run
    $ vcs -n 20 --generate config
    and it will give you instructions.

Best Regards

Please note: New comments won't appear immediately, they have to be manually approved (usually done quickly).